For me, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups were hard to give up. I tried Justin’s Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups but wasn’t super blown away. Luckily, today, I had an aha! moment.
“Aha!” I said, rifling through my freezer. “I will make chocolate coconut almond butter truffles!”
These had four ingredients (you could add flax seeds). The almond butter was fresh ground from the bulk section. Whole Foods 365 brand keeps it cheap.
I didn’t write down proportions but it’s super easy and I bet you could make them, too.
1. Melt semi-sweet chocolate in a double boiler – put a ceramic/glass/metal bowl over a pot of boiling water. This melts the chocolate and keeps it from burning. Some semi-sweet chocolates have milk products in them, which is annoying, but you just need to check the ingredients.
2. Mix up the almond butter and shredded coconut in a separate bowl. You should be able to make little balls of this coconutty almondy paste that somewhat stay together.
3. Drop the little ball in the melted chocolate and roll it around with a spoon, until it’s coated.
4. Remove the chocolate-coated ball with the spoon and put it on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Freeze.
5. Remove to eat, ravenously. You have to keep them cold-ish or they’ll make a mess.
Here one is, closer up. Enjoy!
**Side note: I thought of entitling this post “Nuts and Balls” but decided that that would not be family-friendly enough for teh Facebooks.